“Overcomer” is the latest single by Mandisa, a contestant from American Idol Season 5. It’s uplifting and comes on one of the local radio stations often.
In the song, Mandisa sings about overcoming challenges in life and inspires you to rise above them. Although you may have a challenge to overcome and feel down for the count, there’s ways to get around obstacles even though it seems impossible. Challenges are what make us stronger. If you’re going through something right now, then I challenge you to pick yourself up and keep going.
Things may seem hard, but you are already an overcomer. No matter what you face, you can get through it gracefully. One reason things may seem hard is because you focus on the hard stuff. There’s ways to make challenges easier on yourself and to turn those challenges into goals.
It just takes focus. Here’s a few ways you can take the focus off of why things seem hard and put the focus on overcoming the challenges:
1. See challenges as lessons. Life is no ordinary classroom. We can’t open the textbook, follow the teacher’s request to turn to page 52 and read to learn the content. In life, we have physically go through things to learn.
Even though things may come at us from different directions sometimes, we can see them as lessons, almost like physical textbooks being presented to us. We can easily learn what we need to know by being curious and asking questions. One question I often use is: What is there to learn in this challenge?
When you know what you need to learn, it makes the challenge much easier because then you can see the ways in which this situation helps you learn the content in physical form, instead of from a textbook.
2. Create goals. When situations arise, create goals around them. Sometimes we get stuck in thinking, “this is too hard…” or “ugh, not again…” or other thoughts that focus on how hard things are in life.
I’ve learned that when I buckle down and think, “how can I overcome this?” or “what do I need to do to navigate this?” or “what outcome do I want here?” then I start to create milestones to work towards a goal.
For instance, if you have to move, then create a milestone of packing 5 boxes per day until you are ready to move by your deadline. If you want to get better at Energy Scanning, then set a goal to scan yourself every day and schedule 5 scans on others per week. Figure out what you can do each day to work towards the goal of what you need to accomplish.
3. Say what you want. Prayer is powerful. When you speak it aloud, you start to create energy towards what you want in life. You can also renounce what you don’t want.
If you are going through something you don’t want, then ask what you need to learn from it and then say, “I no longer stand for [insert negative thing here] in my life. I want…”
For example: “No, I no longer tolerate people putting their issues on me. I no longer want to be in relationships that drain my energy. I want to be around people who inspire me and respect my goals.”
4. Catch your thoughts. Pay attention to your running thoughts. Turn it into a game if you need to catch them and turn them around. As you do, you’ll start creating new thoughts and patterns in your life that support you, instead of drain your energy.
Each time you find yourself feeling guilty, feeling down, and possibly even beating yourself up, catch that thought and turn it around. You need to give yourself love in doing this.
Here’s two ways to give yourself love:
- Think of some things that other people have said to you that made you feel good and make a list of them. Keep the list with you to refer to whenever you need to.
- Take a few moments to go and look at yourself in the mirror. Put lotion on your hands and take a moment to breathe in the scent. Take a deep breath and blow out. Then put your hands over your heart and tell yourself how much you mean to you. Tell yourself, “I love you.”
As you begin to take the focus off of how hard things seem to be and put the focus on your goals and what you want, you will breathe easier.
Sometimes, though, we need someone to give us that push to do things like this and see what challenges affect us the most. If you are going through something that is affecting you right now, I invite you to sign up for a complimentary 15-minute Energy Scan to Uncover Negative Events Holding You Back from Inner Peace with me. You also receive a mini-workshop and challenge on the 5 Ways to Tune Into Your Inner Guidance and Uncover the Truth. Go here to sign up for your complimentary Energy Scan with me.